Monday, August 25, 2008

Mission Accomplished

My goal last week was to complete my Japanese Lanterns and Homespun Cupcakes and see how far I could get on Waste Not, Want Not. I am happy to report, I finished all three.
 
 
First up, the Japanese Lanterns. I purchased the fabric at one of the booths at the International Quilt Festival, in Chicago, last year. That was a fun trip. My sister went through my stash and decided on this fabric for the lanterns. I think it was the perfect choice. The lanterns were pieced back in early June, so it is about time I finished them.


 
When I pieced together my Amish Bars, which I have yet to decide how I am going to quilt it, I had some strips left, so I pieced them together and made Waste Not, Want Not, a colourful table topper. You would have to enlarge the photo (if you can) to see the multi coloured thread I used to stitch in the ditch . I was pleasantly surprised with the results.


Last up, Homespun Cupcakes. The finished quilt measures 16.5 x 16.5 inches and the cupcakes are 2.5 inches tall. I hand appliqued the cupcakes. These tasty treats seem to have gained some popularity, in the quilting world.



Saturday was off to the quilt shop for the summer clearance sale. I managed to come home with a few things. Charm squares of Shangri-la by 3 Sisters for Moda, charm squares of At Water's Edge by Blackbird Design for Moda, lots of fat quarters of At Water's Edge and Dandelion Girl by Joanna Figueroa Fig Tree Quilts for Moda, some 1930's fabric and a piece of orange batik.


Have you downloaded this weeks Stitchers' Angel project yet? Natalie from Cinderberry Stitches designed a cute mini tote called, Blue Wren's Nest.
 
 

Tasha Tudor
August 28, 1915 - June 18, 2008



Celebrate Tasha Tudor Day August 28. To learn more about Tasha, go to Tasha Tudor and Family. Tasha was renowned for her Afternoon Tea parties, so what better way to celebrate her life, then with a tea party.

Until next week.....happy quilting!

Karen

5 comments:

Betsy said...

All of it is darling!

Karen said...

I saw a PBS special quite some time ago on Tasha Tudor. She must have been a very fun mom for her kids. Such a unique and creative person.
Love the cupcake quilt!

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog - really love the cupcake quilt. The spools one too! Gorgeous.

Christine said...

Your cupcake quilt is adorable and I love all the fabric you got at the sale. Lucky you.

DAWNIE said...

Hi Karen, just thought Id visit your blog seeing that you left a comment on mine - I really like the lantern quilt that you have been working on.