Monday, July 21, 2014

Treadle Sewing Machine


Thinking back, twenty-five years ago, I spent many a Saturday at flea markets, garage sales and antique shops, filling my house with treasures from the past.  One neglected treasure that followed me home was a Singer treadle sewing machine, Model 127, made March 15, 1918 at the Singer factory in St. Jean's, Quebec, Canada.

The treadle base was rusty and the wood cabinet had some water damage.  At the time I was not thinking about sewing with it, I saw it more as a nice piece of furniture I could restore.  I did notice the front slide plate was missing and there was surface rust on the exterior metal parts of the machine, sure to discover more once I had it home.  

The treadle base and cabinet restored beautifully and looks just like the one in the vintage Singer advertisement pictured above.  I decide not to restore the sewing machine, thinking at the time I would not be able to find missing parts.

Now, twenty-five years later, I have taken a closer look at the machine and with one phone call, discovered I could replace the front slide plate, bobbins and shuttle.

The inside mechanics are in excellent shape and rust free, it just needed lots of oil.  The exterior metal surface rust was easy to remove, but as expected, caused some pitting.  A little elbow grease was all it took to remove 96 years of dirt and discoloration, and once polished, I must say, she looks pretty good for her age.

Singer factory  in St. Jean's, Quebec, Canada 

7 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

A great list of links for reference! I love treadling :)

sunny said...

I'd love to have a treadle machine! My mother had one when I was young, and I remember how excited she was when she was able to purchase a used electric machine. :-(

Karen said...

I have ordered vintage sewing machine parts online. Nice to be able to find things like that.

Anonymous said...

I would absolutely love to see an actual photo of the machine.

Lin said...

I too have an old Singer treadle machine though not as old as yours. It came to me in exchange for a wash basin! Sadly at some point the table top has been varnished!! The belt is adrift too and I have never tried to repair it - maybe I should. xx

Jen said...

Thanks Karen for the video links. I also have an old Singer portable I bought when I was 14 my first machine ( 50 yrs ago) Some of the plastic covering on the wireing has perished and can be redone but the machine is in perfect condition.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a great feeling to get the old girl working again. I just fixed up a 99 hand crank and have been sewing with it on the patio this summer and I love it :-) thanks for the links.. So much good info!