Sunday, September 11, 2011

Squirreling Away for Winter


I am taking my cue from the squirrels, as the weather gets colder, days get shorter and the leaves soon to turn colour and fall off the trees,  it's time to prepare for winter.   As they busy themselves building up fat reserves and creating a cosy place to sleep, I too have been busy squirreling away for winter.


As I busied myself basting October Moon for hand quilting I started thinking about all the quilt tops still hanging in my sewing room waiting to be quilted, ten to be exact.  Winter is just around the corner, surely I can find some time for hand quilting.  But, so much prep work needs to be done first, preparing backing and binding for all the quilts and marking a few before basting.  I can just see it now; winter will be over before I even get started.


Well guess what, I got started!

Veranda Views
Amish Stripe
Friendship Star
Tiny Thimbles
Elegant Nine-Patch
Red Delicious
Bad Apple
Butterfly Garden
Farmer's Market
Times Remembered

Just look how many I now have basted and ready for hand quilting this winter.  Even the binding is made and ready to go.  I will continue, but with less urgency until all ten quilts are basted.  But first, I will bind October Moon.

My Hand Quilting Basket

So, as the squirrels sleep away the winter in their cosy place, you will find me in my cosy place, quilting away the winter.

Until next time.....happy quilting!

Karen

“The dog that buried the bone which even a canine appetite could not manage, the squirrel that gathered nuts for a later feast, the bees that filled the comb with honey, the ants that laid up stores for a rainy day - these were among the first creators of civilization. It was they....who taught our ancestors the art of providing for tomorrow out of the surplus of today, or of preparing for winter in summer's time of plenty."    ~ Will Durant 'Our Oriental Heritage' (1935)

14 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

What a darling squirrel photo. You are really getting things done (and getting them ready to be done :-) )!

Kathinca said...

I am right there with you doing the exact same thing on the other side of the world! *high five*

Its what i love about the fall and winter season. The long evenings, snuggled up under a quilt. Some tea, coffee or hot chocolate handy and stitching while the rain is pooring down and its cold!

Raewyn said...

Wow I'm impressed that you have got so many prepared already; I can see you wishing for many long evenings. Don't forget to stock up on supplies like thread too!

*karendianne. said...

Aww, what a delightful and inspiring post. Now I feel that I must do some searches to see what quilts we're talking about… (did you share the tops?) hee! BTW, I really like your quilting basket and hope perhaps you'll share your process with us as time allows.

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Cute post!!!

Carolyn :)

marina said...

Quite a list there and a big dent made already. I basted a quilt at my mums on the weekend. It was so much more fun with help. I wish it could be the same with quilting. Like the old days when people came together and sat and helped each other quilt their quilts. wouldn't that be great?

Teresa Rawson said...

Good for you, getting all that hand-quilting fodder ready. It's funny...when I saw the name of your post, I thought you had been fabric shopping. That kind of fattening up I could have related to...my Paducah Hancock's catalog came last week, and the repro fabrics caught my eye and I placed a big order...just like a little squirrel...LOL!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Pat from Florida said...

Wow! Can you really hand quilt that many quilts in one winter? You go girl!

Quiltpassion.blogspot.com said...

Well done, more than half way done! I hope you'll be ready at the end of the winter! Nice photo's, lovely squirrel and bear, nice basket.
Happy quilting, Cisca

Funoldhag said...

You are getting yourself ready for some comfy, cozy evenings with your quilting. Nothing better! Enjoy every moment of the prep and the actual doing. I love autumn and even winter. Carol

Becky G said...

Thanks for the encouraging post; I think I'll do the same! I love how Will Durrant equates preparing for the future out of today's abundance with civilization's creativity. I'll print out his quote and put on the wall where I do my handwork as my guiding principle for this fall... When I read it, I will of course remember you.
Thanks!

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

Cute squirrel and I love your hand quilting basket. I'm impressed with all you've done already - all that hand quilting will keep you warm all winter. After reading your post I feel like I should finish up a few of my projects.

Melody said...

What a brilliant post and adorable pictures. Happy hibernating.

Carrie P. said...

Good idea. I like hand quilting in the winter better than the summer. You will be busy.