Monday, April 13, 2009

The Bamboo Report

I put my package of Fairfield bamboo batting (50% bamboo and 50% organic cotton) to the test. The first thing I notice as I removed the batting from the package was how soft it was and how thin it felt. So, after pressing it against my face (LOL), I compared it to the cotton batting. The bamboo batting definitely feels nicer to the touch. As for the thickness, I would say it is about the same as cotton.

Next step was to place the batting into a warm dryer for a little spin to help remove the fold lines. I then draped it over the ironing board for a couple of days. Some fold lines remained, but not deep enough to worry about. After thread basting my quilt top, I began to quilt. It was not difficult to hand quilt and maybe even a little easier then with cotton batting. Because it is not as firm as cotton batting, I would think twice before using it for wall hangings.

Overall, I liked it! I like how it feels and I like that it is a green product. Availability is an issue. Right now the only place I can find it is across the border at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft store. Sold in packages from crib size to king size. The larger the package, you purchase, the more money you save. Plus, Jo-Ann's has 40% off coupons. I don't cross the border often, but when I do, I will be sure to pick up more bamboo batting.

7 comments:

Janet said...

Thank you for your report on the Bamboo batting. I've been thinking about trying it for a quilt I want to handquilt.

Robin said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Its really exciting to see some people reading my posts!! haha I tried out the bamboo batting recently and loved it too....oh, I am now a follower of yours. :)

Cathi said...

Oh, I'm glad to hear about the bamboo batting! I know that Sew Sisters here in Toronto was carrying the bamboo batts at one point. Maybe you could get hold of them and see if they still are?
Any idea what the shrinkage with a bamboo batt issupposed to be like when washing and drying it?

Quiltbirdie said...

Thanks for the review. I'd been wondering about bamboo.

Lori in South Dakota said...

Glad to hear what you thought of the bamboo batting. If I get a chance, I will buy it again!

Meredith said...

If it helps connecting threads has it in a 60 X 60. I really like your earth day quilt.

Cyn said...

It is very interesting to read about the bamboo batt. I've been wanting to try it, too. Thank you for your report - now to find it in a store!
Hugs
cyn;-)
thank you for visiting my blog...;-)