Monday, October 13, 2008

Paddle Thimble

Have you ever seen (or used) a hand-held quilting thimble? Also referred to as a paddle thimble. I bought mine many years ago, at the Creativ Festival, in Toronto. Made of stainless steel, so it will last forever.

You just lay the paddle across your hand with fingers wrapped around it. Position needle in fabric, then place thimble on top of needle. Now, quilt in usual manner. Your thumb is still used the same way on the top of the quilt and your other hand (the same way) below the quilt. Does that seem a little strange? Well, watch your hand when you are quilting with a thimble. What are your non-thimble fingers doing as you quilt? They are folded under in the same position they would be using the hand-held quilting thimble. Selling for around $15. So, if you are feeling adventurous, give one a try.

Last week, I made my first Dear Jane block. Click here to have a look. I started with the first block in the book, but will randomly select the blocks, as I go along.

Until next week.....happy quilting!

Karen

Happy Thanksgiving Canada!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Karen, I have seen those thimbles, but since I don't hand quilt have never tried them. I can understand how it would work really well. You Dear Jane block looks fantastic!

trendy georgia said...

Hi Karen, Thanks so much for stopping by myblog and leaving a message. Im so glad you did because its given me the chance to connect with your gorgeous blog. I cant read to read it fully when i have time but what Ive seen so far I just love. I used to applique so much in my first year of quilting so understand your love of it!
Cheers Cheery Cherry

Funoldhag said...

Hi, Karen - That is the first time I have ever seen that little gadget. Is it hard to get used to? Also checked out your Dear Jane block - very pretty. I would imagine that hand piecing those little blocks would be easier than machine piecing. What a treasure that quilt will be!

Betsy said...

Karen your dear jane block looks so complicated but also very nice. You did a nice job.

Dresden Plate said...

I've not seen these before, but can imagine that they work well.

Tanya said...

No I've never seen one of those before! Hmmm. I don't know. I have enough trouble using a thimble on both hands....

Sand and Sunshine said...

What a beautiful site you have. Can I take a swim in your threads? I reciently have been growing my own pile of threads but it wasn't long before my DH decided I needed a box.

Ernie is just adorable, is he yours?

That hand thimble seems a good idea to try. It always fits!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on starting your Dear Jane quilt, I will be following your progress. I started mine in April, but it has not progressed too far. I'm looking at it as a long term project. I'm not too sure how I would go using the quilting paddle, I have not seen or heard of them before. Thanks for sharing.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

From one Karen to another - wow - I have rarely ever seen anyone else that has one of these! I have been using the paddle thimble for years - I love it and have 3 of them scattered around the house - orginally just had one and then lost it and got some extra's and then the lost one turned up. Once you get the hang of it, they are nice to use. I love it.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Christine Poulsen said...

Thanks for the heads up about the paddle quilter. I just ordered one for $12.95. Looks like it might save my fingers.