Monday, September 8, 2008

Quilters' Compost

One day as I was deadheading in the garden, I looked down into the pail and thought, that even once spent, the flowers and stems still look beautiful. I have a large compost bin at the back of my yard, so nothing goes to waste. My offerings turned into something wonderful, I can return to the garden next Spring.

That is not the only kind of composting I do. I also make Quilters' Compost. All the bits and pieces of fabric left from quilting projects. What to do with them? Sure hope you don't throw them in the garbage? Shame on you, if you do!

This is what I do with mine. They are placed in my compost pail for recycling. I try not to let my pail get too full before I recycle. In my pail, along with the scraps of fabric, you will find three templates. The first template is to cut 1.5 inch squares, that will eventually turn into a Postage Stamp quilt. The second template is for 2.5 inch squares. I am not sure yet what I will be making out of them and the third template is a tumbler block for a Charm quilt. Now, Charm quilts are not to have any repeats in fabric, so I have to pay close attention when cutting them out. I have also offered smaller slivers of fabric and batting to the birds, in Spring, for nest building. Or, if you are making something that needs a little stuffing.....children's toys, pet toys, pillows, pincushions, etc. I then store my cut squares and tumblers in decorative craft boxes.

So tell me, what do you do with your Quilters' Compost?

Until next week.....happy quilting!

Karen

11 comments:

Betsy said...

you are not going to believe this but I too compost my bits if fabric that cannot be sewn. I figured they are cotton so why not.
Also, I donate scraps to the art teacher and I use the batting to fill stuffed toys, etc...
I am not alone.

Wendy said...

You are so organized. I drop all the left over pieces in a basket and then if I need a small piece I can pull out of the basket.

BizarreQuilter said...

THanks so much for sharing these ideas.
I use bits in the Textiles class room, and I have a strips box. I recently used a stack of them, and I have a few log cabins in mind for some time or other.

Anonymous said...

Loved hearing about your Quilter's Compost. As a child of the Depression, it's difficult for me to get rid of anything, so I have a lot of scraps sorted by color which I try to use at every opportunity.

Beth French said...

Karen, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I love your label : "quilter's compost"! A friend gave me a clear Christmas ornament ball filled with purple fabric slivers. I think a clear glass lamp filled with "compost" would be lovely, too.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

I cut 2.5" and 3"ers. Have for years, if a piece of stash is down to about 8" it doesn't go back in stash. Great blog! Sharyn/KalamaQuilts

pennyquilts said...

Uh-oh! Don't ever visit my house! I'm one of those that do throw away scraps - tried keeping them, much like you do, but it didn't work for me. But - I do keep larger pieces in a box under my ironing board.

Funoldhag said...

Hi, Karen, Funoldhag here. Have enjoyed your comments on my blog postings. Smart girl to think of "potpourri" - none of mine are filled with that! Cute. As to my scraps, I have a hard time throwing them away but I don't take the time to cut them up. They all go into a big plastic bin, and it's amazing how many times I have found just the right little piece in there for something I am appliquing. I still find little bits and pieces of fabric from the past that I loved and used a lot of and wish I had more! I also think it is amazing how many quilters love gardening - I think they go hand in hand!

Anne-Mettes Oaser said...

Hi Karen.
You seems to be very organized - what a great way to use your left over pieces. So far I just have a large box, where I put my pieces. I like the thought of cutting all those small squares...ready for a postage quilt.
Love your cupcake quilt.
Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind words.
Cheers
Anne-Mette from Denmark

alda said...

the name "quilter's compost" is great!!! but unfortunately I'm not so organided like you, but I will try to change my chaos. Thanks for the idea!

Roxanne said...

Now you've done it! My conscience won't leave me alone until I get the bin out that I threw my 'compost' in and get it organized.