Monday, September 22, 2008

A Net for Catching Days


A schedule defends from chaos and whim. It is a net for catching days.
~Annie Dillard


My life was once of routine and schedule, then I started to blog. Well, I can't blame it all on blogging. But, I do know, that blogging has taken a bite out of my quilting time. Once on the computer, it's hard to get off. When working on my own blog and reading all the wonderful blogs out there.....how time flies! I now set the kitchen timer, as a reminder, that it's time to move on to other things. This seems to work. I also picked up a weekly schedule to organize my quilting activities for the week. I did stray a couple of times, during week one, but I think it's going to work out just fine.


The other day I was wandering through Michaels Arts and Craft store and found some pretty wild looking magnified glasses. I think the old eyes are going. I can't see to thread a needle anymore. When I was hand quilting my Dresden quilt the other day, I tested them out. I just left them at the end of my nose and tilted my head up when it was time to thread the needle. What a world of difference.




Started my Baby Ralphie quilt. Just love the fabric. The blades measure 1.5 inches in length and the completed Dresden measures in at 6.5 inches. I was surprised at the finished size. I was expecting much smaller. Don't know why. How small could it be with 20 blades?

Until next week.....happy quilting!

Karen

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear your time is definitely a high commodity! I am loving the fabrics and you dresden plate. I can't wait to see it complete!

Betsy said...

I love that fabric!Nice choice.

Annette said...

I am working on a dresden plate quilt too. I love the pretty fabrics you chose. Mine is completely scrappy. I'm using this quilt to clean out my scrap bins.

Käranån said...

Thank you for your comment in my blog! You have made so beautiful things. I like the colours in your new quilt! ( sorry, I cant write in english so well)

Browndirtcottage said...

hi.....glad you came over for a visit......so glad you got the "thang" thing

Barefoot Quilter said...

Thanks for stopping by, I love your glasses you found. The dresden plate is great too!

Carolyn said...

I have always wanted to make a dresden plate quilt. I have a really old one given to my daughter by my mom. I know what you mean about needing a schedule to manage time away from the blogs. The kitchen timer idea is a good one. Thanks

Tanya said...

Like your glasses. But I see you still have a low number for eyesight need. Wait until you are up in the 200s!

Beth French said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I really enjoy yours, the quotes are charming. Will check back and see how your dresden quilt is coming along.

BizarreQuilter said...

LOL!!! Yeah! How small could it be with 20 blades??

I love these fabrics.

Rose Marie said...

Thanks for stopping by. With your dresdan plates .... what would happen if you removed some of the blades? The size will be smaller and I just am wondering if you will still get a nice flat circle.

Idaho Quilter said...

What size are the blades before stitching the end. I am working on cleaning upo my scrap bin, these would be perfect.